So why is sleep so important anyway? Most of us have figured out by now that not getting enough sleep leaves us feeling irritable, unable to focus, and forgetful. What you may not know is how getting enough sleep is key in maintaining our metabolism and helping with weight loss. Sleep is also a critical factor in building muscle, brain function and keeps our immune system in tiptop shape! In short, everything good that needs to happen happens when our bodies are asleep. Think of it as not only plugging ourselves in every night for a recharge but also like hitting the restart button to set us up for a successful tomorrow!
Here is a checklist to help you have a better night's sleep:
- Turn off all electronic devices an hour before bed. Phones, tablets, TV's and computers emit blue light which has been proven to not only disturb and shorten your sleep cycle but also leaves your mind racing.
- Keep your room cool and dark. Your room temperature should be between 68-72 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Keep your bed for sleeping. Do not do work or watch TV while lying in bed.
- Set a sleep schedule. Try and go to bed and wake up at roughly the same time every night, even the weekends which helps your body anticipate rest.
- Rethink your drink. Instead of that evening glass of wine try some decaffeinated tea.
- Relax your mind before heading to bed. Make this your decompression time from yoru day whether you do it with a bath, reading, peaceful music, or even mediating. Try the Headspace app to get in touch with your breathing!
To learn more, schedule a call with a coach HERE.